Confederate battle-style parade flag of the 1910-1945 period, printed on oilcloth-type cotton and retaining its original staff. This square design with the Southern Cross is often termed the �Army of Northern Virginia� flag, after the well-known division, commanded by General Lee, that carried it. The flag would have been made for use by the United Confederate Veterans (UCV), which was the primary post-war organization for Confederate soldiers. A brief history follows: �The United Confederate Veterans Association was established in 1889 as a benevolent, historical, social, and literary association. It was active from 1889 to the mid-1940�s. Its mission was to "unite in a general federation all associations of Confederate veterans, soldiers and sailors, now in existence or hereafter to be formed; to gather authentic data for an impartial history of the war between the States; to preserve relics or mementos of the same; to cherish the ties of friendship that should exist among men who have shared common dangers, common sufferings and privations; to care for the disabled and extend a helping hand to the needy; to protect the widows and the orphans, and to make and preserve a record of the services of every member, and as far as possible of those of our comrades who have preceded us in eternity." [Source: http://www.lib.lsu.edu/special/findaid/u1357.html] The Confederacy had three successive national designs, known as the first, second, and third confederate national flags. The original first confederate design looked much like the stars and stripes. It consisted of 7 white stars arranged in a blue canton, and three linear stripes instead of thirteen (2 red with one white in-between). This is the flag known as the Stars & Bars. The second Confederate flag was white in color, with the Southern Cross (the Confederate battle flag) serving as its canton. Soldiers hated this design because it looked too much like a surrender flag, and, if given the opportunity, they would dip the end in blood. 36 days before the war�s end a red vertical stripe was later added at the fly end of the flag and the result was adopted as the 3rd national design. The �battle flag� comes in two basic shapes, rectangular and square. The confederate naval jack is the extended, rectangular version of the confederate battle flag, which is typically square. The rectangular version is what we most commonly known as the Confederate flag today, although it was not, as most people think, the national flag of the Confederacy; nor is it the flag which is referred to as the "Stars & Bars", even though the name seems appropriate enough.
Mounting: The paint-decorated molding that dates to the period between 1910 and 1920. The flag has been hand-stitched to 100% cotton rag mat. Spacers keep the textile away from the glass, which is u.v. protective.