|CANADIAN VERSION OF THE BRITISH RED ENSIGN, MADE BY ANNIN IN NEW YORK CITY FOR THE SESQUCENTENNIAL OF AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE IN 1926:
Canadian flag, press-dyed on wool bunting, with an appliqu�d, press-dyed wool crest. A small, circular note was hand-written and machine-sewn to the reverse of the flag, near the bottom of the hoist. It reads: �Canada; Flag #2; #2 in Lions; 03-12-26�.
A maker�s tag along the hoist reads: �Sterling; Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.; Fast Color - Double Warp; All Wool Bunting; The name Annin guarantees quality�. Sterling was a brand name of the Annin company, which was located in New York City until the 1960�s. Sterling was a trademark for Annin�s highest grade of wool bunting (with one exception above it, if I am not mistaken).
The 1926 date provides evidence that this flag was sold by Annin for the sesquicentennial of American independence (our nation�s 150-year anniversary), which took place in that same year. This is further supported by the fact that the flag was found with a small group of international flags, which would have been needed in some quantity for the event, because it was celebrated by way of a 6-month long World�s Fair in Philadelphia. The word �lions� on the hand-written tag was probably a misspelling of �lines�, meaning the line-up of international flags.
The body of the flag is made of three panels of press-dyed (printed) wool bunting, joined with machine stitching. Additional press-dyed panels of wool bunting are double-appliqu�d (applied to both sides) on the red field and contain the heraldic crest.
The design of the crest on the red field of the Canadian version of the British Red Ensign, used while Canada was still a British Province, changed over time. This specific design was used from 1921 - 1957. It is interesting to note that the current maple leaf flag didn�t become the official flag of Canada until 1965.
MORE ABOUT THE SESQUICENTENNIAL:
The following excerpts from Wikipedia provide an interesting summary of the Sesqui-Centennial International Exposition:
�The Sesqui-Centennial International Exposition of 1926 was a world's fair hosted in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the signing of the United States Declaration of Independence, and the 50th anniversary of the 1876 Centennial Exposition.
The honor of hosting this celebration was awarded to Philadelphia in 1921. Initial grand plans were scaled down tremendously by the time the fair opened. The original director of the exposition, Colonel David C. Collier, resigned in protest over these budget cuts��
�...The senior draftsman for the design of the exposition buildings was a young Louis Kahn, later a world-renowned architect, then working under City Architect John Molitor.
The fair opened on May 31st, 1926, and ran through November on grounds bounded by 10th Street, Packer Avenue, 23rd Street, and the U.S. Navy Yard (Terminal Avenue) in South Philadelphia. Originally known as League Island Park, these grounds are now occupied by FDR Park, Marconi Plaza, Packer Park Residential Neighborhood��
��Organizers constructed an 80 foot replica of the Exposition's symbol, the Liberty Bell, covered in 26,000 light bulbs, at the gateway to the festival��
�Sesqui-Centennial Stadium (�later known as John F. Kennedy Stadium) was built in conjunction with the fair��
�In 1926 the first bridge (later renamed Benjamin Franklin Bridge) spanning the Delaware River between center city Philadelphia and Camden, New Jersey, was built in anticipation of the attending crowds��
��The fair drew a much smaller crowd than anticipated (about 10 million people). It ended up unable to cover its debts and was placed into receivership in 1927, at which point its assets were sold at auction.�
Condition: There is minor to moderate staining throughout from evident use. |
Jeff R. Bridgman American Antiques, llc
||Phone: (717) 502-1281
||1st Half 20th Century (1901 -1949)|
||flag: 34.5" x 62"
||Other Inventory by this Dealer|
to view larger