|An English Woolwork Picture-woolie- of H.M.S. Marlborough,
The H.M.S. Marlborough (1855-1904)
This Marlborough, the fourth ship bearing this name, was laid down in 1850 as a sailing three-decker of 110 guns; while on the stocks she was altered to a screw ship, which involved lengthening her, and this enabled her armament to be increased to 131 guns. She was thus, when completed one of the largest wooden ships of war ever built. At that time she was the largest vessel in the British navy. She was launched on August 7th, 1855 by Queen Victoria at Portsmouth.
The Illustrated Times wrote a long article in which was written "She is constructed to carry 131 guns, the majority of which are 32 pounders; and one upon the forecastle , ten feet long and weighing 95cwt, is to throw shot of 68 pounds. It would be difficult in words to convey an idea of the appearance of a vessel of this size. A vessel, whose sides as we walk along them, seem as long as a moderate-sized street, and whose height, as we look up to her, appears considerably to surpass that of an ordinary house; a vessel which is fitted up inside for the accommodation of a number of men equal to the population of a good-sized town." |
Earle Vandekar of Knightsbridge Inc.
||19th Century (1801-1900)|
||17 inches x 13 3/4 inches
||Other Inventory by this Dealer|
to view larger