Exceptional pair of large 19th century English cast iron urns on pedestals by the Handyside Foundry of Darby and London.
The campana style urns on their original pedestals have decorative open loop and mask handles on deeply gadrooned bowls, the bodies with lobed everted rims are decorated with foliate friezes which have been cast separately heightening the overall relief and detail.
The Andrew Handyside Foundry was established in 1848 as the successor to the Britannia Iron Works, and produced, among other things, ornamental garden vases that were remarkable for their faithfulness to original historical design. Exhibiting in 1851 at The Great Exhibition Fair, the firm garnered numerous awards of merit and excellence.
A similar pair of urns is illustrated in the Handyside Catalogue of 1874.